The best CEOs are those who figure out the right levers to pull, choose great people to be on the team and motivate great behaviors through an inspiring environment that respects and generally cares for the well-being of its employees.
Unfortunately, being a CEO is a bit of a grind. Well, actually, it’s a lot of a grind. You have a million things to do, planes to catch, people with problems, products you can never sell enough of, and why, for the love of god, do things continue to get more and more complex? And let us not forget that you are meant to emerge as the one who fosters inspiration, sees the way and brings clarity to complexity!
Old school CEOs resemble the famous visual of a chicken with their head cut off. They are always pushing, creating a sense of urgency, trying to get more and more done, seeing all the gaps and are, frankly, worn out. They burn out and they burn people out. Sometimes it works. Most times it fizzles.
Now, maybe as a result of my old age, I’m ready to take it up a level. My mantra is be a GRACEFUL and SKILLED CEO. Why? Because the chicken with its head cut off may cover a lot of ground, but it is really not a good leader. Very few little chicks follow this crazy bird around.
The reality is that IP and cash can only take us so far in today’s economy. What is increasingly and seriously driving the success of today’s top companies is its people -- innovative, motivated, smart-working and “great-to-work-with” people. And, those companies have great CEO leaders.
As you strive to be the best kind of CEO, ask yourself these hard questions:
Are you demonstrating the characteristics that you want your people to emulate?
Are you taking care of your health? Not just your physical health, but your mental health and well being as well?
Are you giving yourself opportunities to think clearly about the business?
Are you being clever about choosing the things that matter – as opposed to advocating doing everything at once?
Are you rewarding innovation, creativity and trying new things?
Are you giving kudos and positive vibes?
Look in the mirror. Are you the chicken with its head cut off or the graceful, skillful CEO?
- December 2018
- Nov 26, 2018 Are You a Graceful CEO? Nov 26, 2018
- Nov 7, 2018 9 Steps for an Eye-Opening Assessment of Your Leadership Team, Strategy, and Strategic Planning Process Nov 7, 2018
- Nov 5, 2018 Are You Tracking Projects or Tracking Results? Tell the Truth. Nov 5, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Does Your Leadership Team have High Executive Function? Oct 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 5 Signs It's Time to Make a Change to Your Exec Team May 7, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Finding the Sweet Spot Between Inspirational and Operational Leadership Feb 20, 2018
- Nov 21, 2017 Smoother Sailing Ahead for CEOs Who Stay at the Helm of these 5 Core Responsibilities Nov 21, 2017
- Oct 3, 2017 Why You Should STOP Thinking about Cascading Goals to Your Organization Oct 3, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 5 Essential “To Dos” for Every CEO’s Summer Plan Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Preparation Makes Perfect: 5 Tips for Preparing for Your Strategic Planning Session Jun 5, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Strategic Planning: Why Start with A CEO Presentation? Jun 1, 2017
- Sep 2, 2016 CEO, Do You Know What Makes You Happy? Sep 2, 2016
- Sep 2, 2016 6 Reasons Why Traveling for Pleasure Will Make You a Better CEO Sep 2, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 The CEO's Role in Managing Culture: Do What You Believe in Most Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 Top 6 Signs of Burnout for CEOs and the C-Suite Jun 29, 2016
- Apr 21, 2016 CEOs share the top 15 REASONS they make time for a CEO Peer group Apr 21, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016 How to Make Sure Q1 Doesn't Get You Down: Focus First on Yourself, then on Your Company Culture Mar 1, 2016
- Nov 10, 2015 2015 CEO Collective Retreat Recap Nov 10, 2015
- Sep 14, 2015 Top 7 CEO Personal Development Goals for the New Year Sep 14, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 Are You An Engaged CEO Champion? Ask Yourself These 3 Questions Jul 22, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 5 Mistakes Even the Best CEOs Make Jul 22, 2015
- May 4, 2015 At the Heart of The Matter: 6 CEOs Share What They Love Most About Their Jobs May 4, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 How to Improve Your Strategic Scorecard Mar 24, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 What a Strategic Scorecard Is and Why You Should Care Mar 24, 2015
- Nov 20, 2014 CEOs “Find Their Tribe” at the Raffoni Group’s 9th Annual CEO Collective Retreat Nov 20, 2014