By Melissa Raffoni
Ask any CEO, “What is your company's strategy?" and I bet you’ll get a variety of answers depending on that person's definition of the word strategy – ranging from Michael Porter’s classic teachings on the “barriers to entry","differentiation", and "focused trade-offs"...to Webster's basic definition of simply having a plan to achieve a particular goal.
Define it as you will, my intent in this post is to encourage you to go beyond the definition and understand the importance of building a Strategic Scorecard to support your strategy.
What is a Strategic Scorecard? It's a document—a communication tool —that clearly lists carefully articulated strategic goals with associated measures of success and accountable owners.
Ideally, a Strategic Scorecard is:
- On one page
- Built through the collaboration of the company's leadership
- Focused on strategy not the day-to-day business operations or "business as usual" activities
- Clever, unique and grounded in solid strategic principals aimed at helping the company to succeed in the market
- Worked on with regular cadence during a dedicated strategy meeting
What can it do for you? A Strategic Scorecard accomplishes a lot of objectives, but three important ones include:
1) It acts as one of the tools for building alignment and agreement amongst your company's leadership and appropriate level of staff.
2) It provides a basis for communication, reflection and problem solving, inspiring questions like…Did we get the Strategic Goal right? Why are we not on track? What do we need to do differently to get on track? Should we double down?
3) It brings rigor and discipline to teams, helping them to focus on "working on the business" in the midst of their busy day-to-day work lives.
Creating a strong Strategic Scorecard can be a challenge for teams, but it is well worth the effort. It's key to remember that the use of the Scorecard is just one piece of building in an on-going and evolving planning, communication, and accountability process that will help your team to be more effective.
If the effort put in to created your Scorecard is solid, your outcome will be a clearly aligned and motivated team, a higher probability of execution success, and most importantly—stronger business results.
Read my colleague Ed Barrows' article, How to Improve Your Strategic Scorecard, to take the next step.
- Jun 19, 2017 Five Essential “To Dos” for Every CEO’s Summer Plan Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Preparation Makes Perfect: 5 Tips for Preparing for Your Strategic Planning Session Jun 5, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Strategic Planning: Why Start with A CEO Presentation? Jun 1, 2017
- Apr 25, 2017 Five Signs It's Time to Make a Change to Your Exec Team Apr 25, 2017
- Sep 2, 2016 CEO, Do You Know What Makes You Happy? Sep 2, 2016
- Sep 2, 2016 6 Reasons Why Traveling for Pleasure Will Make You a Better CEO Sep 2, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 The CEO's Role in Managing Culture: Do What You Believe in Most Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 Top 6 Signs of Burnout for CEOs and the C-Suite Jun 29, 2016
- Apr 21, 2016 CEOs share the top 15 REASONS they make time for a CEO Peer group Apr 21, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016 Are You Tracking Projects or Tracking Results? Tell the Truth. Mar 1, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016 How to Make Sure Q1 Doesn't Get You Down: Focus First on Yourself, then on Your Company Culture Mar 1, 2016
- Dec 22, 2015 9 Steps for an Eye-Opening Assessment of Your Leadership Team, Strategy, and Strategic Planning Process Dec 22, 2015
- Dec 22, 2015 For Mature CEOs Only: Ask Yourself These 12 Probing Questions as You Close Out 2015 Dec 22, 2015
- Nov 10, 2015 2015 CEO Collective Summit Recap Nov 10, 2015
- Sep 15, 2015 Does Your Leadership Team have High Executive Function? Sep 15, 2015
- Sep 14, 2015 Top Seven CEO Personal Development Goals for 2016 Sep 14, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 Are You An Engaged CEO Champion? Ask Yourself These 3 Questions Jul 22, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 5 Mistakes Even the Best CEOs Make Jul 22, 2015
- May 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 How to Improve Your Strategic Scorecard Mar 24, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 What a Strategic Scorecard Is and Why You Should Care Mar 24, 2015
- Feb 3, 2015 Are You a Graceful CEO? Feb 3, 2015
- Nov 20, 2014 CEOs “Find Their Tribe” at the Raffoni Group’s 9th Annual CEO Collective Summit Nov 20, 2014