Have you set your goals yet? Here’s what your peers are thinking about.
By Melissa Raffoni, CEO, The Raffoni Group
We always work with CEOs within our Collective to develop strategic plans for their organizations prior to their leadership team offsites. We strongly encourage these CEOs to vet their thoughts about business direction and strategic goals with their peers prior to going live with the executive team.
During our CEO Collective meetings, we encourage our CEO members to challenge each other, to expose the truth, and to band together in helping to improve the collective performance of everyone around the table. As a result, a part of this exercise also includes having the CEO articulate their personal development goals.
Here are the seven recurring themes we hear from our CEO members who generally have five or more years of experience in the role and are running growing, profitable companies.
- My goal is to shift my work so that I am less mired in day-to-day operations and spending more time working on strategy.
- My goal is to help my leadership team to be less silo-oriented and caught up in the day-to-day.
- My goal is to be disciplined about setting up a good governance structure that includes highly effective strategy meetings at a regular cadence, separate from the operational meetings.
- My goal is to to be more strategically involved in sales. If I am pulled into a sales call, it should be for strategic reasons.
- My goal is to be more involved in sales, period. I have drifted from the sales process. I need to apply urgency and figure out what we are doing right and where we can improve. I need to get closer to the customer.
- My goal is to make better decisions about people, more quickly. My regrets always revolve around putting the wrong people in the wrong boxes.
- My goal is to take a vacation. I’m not sure when, but, I know I need it. My team needs me to take a vacation.
As you think of your own personal CEO development goals for 2016, I encourage you to ask the following questions of yourself:
- What’s the breakdown of how I spend my time? What percentage do I spend on strategy, operations, leadership team development, sales, culture and PR?
- Do I want to shift how I allocate my time?
- What do I want to do more of, and, why?
- What do I want to do less of, and, why?
- What energizes me to be the best leader I can be?
- What do I do well and not so well?
- What is my highest and best use?
- Am I acting as a bottleneck to my company’s growth in any way?
- Can the company scale properly as is or do I need to adjust the way I work to facilitate growth?
As CEO, you are the highest leverage point in the organization. The way you spend your time and the talent you surround yourself with will make or break your company. I encourage you to look in the mirror and commit one or two personal CEO development goals for the coming year. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised by both the personal joy you receive from your CEO job, as well as the results of the company. Just do it.
Email Melissa at mraffoni at raffonigroup.com
- Jun 19, 2017 Five Essential “To Dos” for Every CEO’s Summer Plan Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Preparation Makes Perfect: 5 Tips for Preparing for Your Strategic Planning Session Jun 5, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Strategic Planning: Why Start with A CEO Presentation? Jun 1, 2017
- Apr 25, 2017 Five Signs It's Time to Make a Change to Your Exec Team Apr 25, 2017
- Sep 2, 2016 CEO, Do You Know What Makes You Happy? Sep 2, 2016
- Sep 2, 2016 6 Reasons Why Traveling for Pleasure Will Make You a Better CEO Sep 2, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 The CEO's Role in Managing Culture: Do What You Believe in Most Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 Top 6 Signs of Burnout for CEOs and the C-Suite Jun 29, 2016
- Apr 21, 2016 CEOs share the top 15 REASONS they make time for a CEO Peer group Apr 21, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016 Are You Tracking Projects or Tracking Results? Tell the Truth. Mar 1, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016 How to Make Sure Q1 Doesn't Get You Down: Focus First on Yourself, then on Your Company Culture Mar 1, 2016
- Dec 22, 2015 9 Steps for an Eye-Opening Assessment of Your Leadership Team, Strategy, and Strategic Planning Process Dec 22, 2015
- Dec 22, 2015 For Mature CEOs Only: Ask Yourself These 12 Probing Questions as You Close Out 2015 Dec 22, 2015
- Nov 10, 2015 2015 CEO Collective Summit Recap Nov 10, 2015
- Sep 15, 2015 Does Your Leadership Team have High Executive Function? Sep 15, 2015
- Sep 14, 2015 Top Seven CEO Personal Development Goals for 2016 Sep 14, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 Are You An Engaged CEO Champion? Ask Yourself These 3 Questions Jul 22, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 5 Mistakes Even the Best CEOs Make Jul 22, 2015
- May 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 How to Improve Your Strategic Scorecard Mar 24, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 What a Strategic Scorecard Is and Why You Should Care Mar 24, 2015
- Feb 3, 2015 Are You a Graceful CEO? Feb 3, 2015
- Nov 20, 2014 CEOs “Find Their Tribe” at the Raffoni Group’s 9th Annual CEO Collective Summit Nov 20, 2014