I’ve had the pleasure of working closely with CEOs for the past two decades and I am a CEO myself. I have a front row seat to the challenges and joys that come with this exciting and demanding position. At the Raffoni Group’s last Annual CEO Summit, I asked the participating members to share what they love most about being a CEO. Here are some of their candid responses...
Ted Nelson, CEO, Mechanica
I love being a CEO because it allows me to creatively shape an environment, capability and team. I love motivating and inspiring our employees. Even though I work extremely hard, I am empowered by an unbeatable level of control over the destiny and reality of myself and others. I love making the most of the opportunities that reside at the intersection of business and personal life. I love having a focus area capable of constructively absorbing all my energy.
Ken Lazarus, CEO, Scout
I love being a CEO because it is a challenging job with many rewards. The challenges are fun in that, with the start-ups, I’m driving the creation of a new business. Most everything needs to be figured out: The product offering, go-to-market strategy, business model, etc. Also, you need to build a team, create a culture, and set goals to execute. The knowledge and sense of accomplishment that comes with meeting these challenges, fixing problems and achieving goals is very rewarding. It also is rewarding to provide meaningful fun jobs, and end up with big communities of employees who have become friends and benefited from what you’ve built.
Peter Tallas, CEO, Charm Medical
I love being a CEO because I enjoy impacting the lives of my customers and employees. This is my first CEO position and while stressful, it has been more rewarding than I imagined. I love the challenge, as well as the freedom that goes with the job. Watching the company grow and building a team has been great. Offering products that are key to the well-being of our customers is very satisfying.
Gordie Spader, CEO, Kurgo
I love being a CEO because I enjoy touching all aspects of the business. I like to understand the levers that can be pulled to create a successful company. I also enjoy getting out to sell what we have developed. I enjoy the idea that I have created an entity out of nothing through hard work, great ideas and good decisions (as well as some bad ones). As a CEO I feel passionate about what we do because I have had the opportunity to decide what we will become and to control my destiny. I like the idea that success lies within my hands. And I love getting a new customer and hearing testimonials from consumers who love our product.
Dave MacKeen, CEO, Eliassen Group
I love being a CEO because I have the ability to positively impact the lives of our clients, employees, and the communities we operate in. I can influence the direction of the company and create a legacy for those I work with. My desire is that people look back at their experience with Eliassen Group, and me, as one in which they were successful, where they felt they could make a difference and they developed, both personally and professionally. I also have the ability to learn and meet people that I wouldn’t otherwise be able to do. I love being a CEO because I can realize my passions for the business and industry and have the ability to control my happiness and success, to an extent. For me, CEO is just a title and is meaningless. It’s more about being part of a high-performing team and building an environment and culture of high performance.
Mike Dreese, CEO, Newbury Comics
I love being CEO because I have great freedom to visualize the future and act on that vision. I can choose who I allow to surround me. I meet thoughtful, brilliant folks all the time. I have an impact on the community around me as mentor and teacher, but I’m ever learning, ever risking. I love the thrill of the chase, the adrenaline of both failure and gained successes. I have a puzzle to solve every day, month, year, and decade. Moments of frustrations, buried by vivid adventures of every kind. Optimism realized! Gate keeping the hours of life to the exit ramp. Unsafe at any speed, but usually in control. Being a change agent and supporter of others. What a life to live!
- Jan 30, 2019 6 Key Practices of Companies with Award-Winning Cultures Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 How to Make Sure Q1 Doesn't Get You Down: Focus First on Yourself, then on Your Company Culture Jan 30, 2019
- December 2018
- Nov 26, 2018 Are You a Graceful CEO? Nov 26, 2018
- Nov 7, 2018 9 Steps for an Eye-Opening Assessment of Your Leadership Team, Strategy, and Strategic Planning Process Nov 7, 2018
- Nov 5, 2018 Are You Tracking Projects or Tracking Results? Tell the Truth. Nov 5, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Does Your Leadership Team have High Executive Function? Oct 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 5 Signs It's Time to Make a Change to Your Exec Team May 7, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Finding the Sweet Spot Between Inspirational and Operational Leadership Feb 20, 2018
- Jan 8, 2018 Top 7 CEO Personal Development Goals for the New Year Jan 8, 2018
- Nov 21, 2017 Smoother Sailing Ahead for CEOs Who Stay at the Helm of these 5 Core Responsibilities Nov 21, 2017
- Oct 3, 2017 Why You Should STOP Thinking about Cascading Goals to Your Organization Oct 3, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 5 Essential “To Dos” for Every CEO’s Summer Plan Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Preparation Makes Perfect: 5 Tips for Preparing for Your Strategic Planning Session Jun 5, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Strategic Planning: Why Start with A CEO Presentation? Jun 1, 2017
- Sep 2, 2016 CEO, Do You Know What Makes You Happy? Sep 2, 2016
- Sep 2, 2016 6 Reasons Why Traveling for Pleasure Will Make You a Better CEO Sep 2, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 The CEO's Role in Managing Culture: Do What You Believe in Most Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 Top 6 Signs of Burnout for CEOs and the C-Suite Jun 29, 2016
- Apr 21, 2016 CEOs share the top 15 REASONS they make time for a CEO Peer group Apr 21, 2016
- Nov 10, 2015 2015 CEO Collective Retreat Recap Nov 10, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 Are You An Engaged CEO Champion? Ask Yourself These 3 Questions Jul 22, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 5 Mistakes Even the Best CEOs Make Jul 22, 2015
- May 4, 2015 At the Heart of The Matter: 6 CEOs Share What They Love Most About Their Jobs May 4, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 How to Improve Your Strategic Scorecard Mar 24, 2015
- Mar 24, 2015 What a Strategic Scorecard Is and Why You Should Care Mar 24, 2015
- Nov 20, 2014 CEOs “Find Their Tribe” at the Raffoni Group’s 9th Annual CEO Collective Retreat Nov 20, 2014